Monday, January 5, 2015

Winning against Cancer: Reflections on Death and Stuart Scott

I remember in college being excited about watching Monday morning's Sports
Center.  Stewart Scott was usually on as one of the top broadcasters and I loved the catch phrases he would use.  "Boo-yah!" "Cool as the other side of the pillow."  Rich Eisen does an awesome job summing them up in this highlight reel.

Yet, what caught me was the quote from Scott's ESPY award speech.  "When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer.  You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live."

As a pastor, as a Christian, I never like hearing someone say that they 'lost their battle with cancer."  Stuart Scott seemed to be a man of faith and walked, the final days of his life, as one who goes on to live.  Another quote points to this.  This quote comes from ESPN magazine back in 2010 while discussing Tim Tebow's scriptural eyeblack.  When asked if he would be offended if someone wrote "There is no God" on their eyeblack Scott replied, "Dave, if that [is] what you want to do, I don't care.  But Tim and I and billions of other believers in the world know you'd be wrong.  I've seen the workings of God many times in my life...If you don't believe in God, watch a child be born.  Then if you still say you don't believe in God, that's okay.  The thing is, I think He'll watch over you anyway!"

I just did a funeral from someone who passed away from Alzheimer's.  At any funeral when someone has gone through a long battle with illness and disease I remind the family of what Scott echoes.  You never lose when you have faith.

During the committal service at the graveside this is what the United Methodist Book of Worship reads, and something I love, "Listen, I will tell you a mystery!  We will not all die, but we will all be changed.  For this perishable body must put on imperishability, and this mortal body must put on immortality.  Then the saying that is written will be fulfilled: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."  "Where, O death, is your victory?  Where, O death, is your sting." But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

We will all change, we will all die, but it is through the salvation work of God through his Son Jesus Christ that we can go on to live.

I remember distinctly the pastor of my church as a youth (Bruce Jones) announce, "Mr. ______ just won his battle with cancer."  It caught me off guard at first but then the reality sunk in.  As people of faith, God's love wins.  No disease, illness or tragedy ever has the last say.  Scott seemed to understand that, echo that, and live that out in the last part of his earthly journey.

To him I say thank you.  Thank you for reaching a millions with that quote and I pray that they will know the faith and the grace behind it one day for themselves.

Let us pray, "O God, who gave us birth, you are ever more ready to hear than we are to pray.  You know our needs before we ask, and our ignorance in asking.  Give to us now your grace, that as we shrink before the mystery of death, we may see the light of eternity.  Speak to us once more your solemn message of life and of death.  Help us to live as those who are prepared to die.  And when our days here are accomplished, enable us to die as those who go forth to live, so that living or dying, our life may be in you, and that nothing in life or in death will be able to separate us form your great love in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen."  (UM Book of Worship)

No comments: