Monday, September 9, 2013

1000th Post

This is my 1000th post (on this blog).  I started a blog when my son was born and it went through a couple of name changes before landing on this url and official name.  I then moved my blog from a blogspot address to its own url and I have seen the audience dwindle.  That is also because my posts have dwindled considerable.  Time to write and think and post have not come as often as they have in the past.  I hope I can improve this habit because I do miss it.

For my readers and those who have witnessed the ups and downs, let me thank you.  Thank you for your patience, your willingness to read and the ability to look past the typos, all 1,000,000+ of them.  I have never professed to be good at writing but that hasn't stopped me either.

For my 1000th post I wanted to highlight some things I have learned along the way.  One, the traffic to this site is usually to look at sermons I have posted.  I have moved away from the lectionary in this appointment a lot and do more sermon series now.  I am going to try and post some of those here more often but my sermon writing has changed a little and I hope for the better.

Two, this is a confession.  Since posts on this blog now go out on Twitter and Facebook I have become a little hesitant on posting my true thoughts and reflections.  The main reason is because I am in a new appointment (only 14 months in) and I didn't want any of my personal beliefs to get in the way of people getting to know me.  There are some subjects that my current congregation (I would say the majority of them but not all) would disagree on.  I wanted our relationship to start as mutual respect and adoration for each other.  Not polarizing ideas on politics and social concerns.  Now that they have gotten to know me I hope to start to get back to some of my commentary and reflections on what is happen in the world.

Over these seven years I think Facebook and Twitter and Vine and Instagram and all other social media  sites have put a damper on the conversations I use to get into on my blog.  That and I don't interact with other bloggers as much as I did 5 years ago.  I may read some of the blogs that I use to but now much of my reading is in other areas, even Goggle Reader has gone by the way side.

I still think though, now that I am 1000 posts in, that this provides a good place to explore ideas of theology and ministry.  This blog is a place where I can share my struggles and voice my opinion.  I appreciate the space to do so and I am not sure if I would be where I am in ministry if it wasn't for this avenue.

So as my 1000th post, let me say thank you to my readers, thank you to this thing called the internet for giving me space (although now I pay for it) to write, and for the connections I have made along the way with people I may never met except in the blogosphere.

Peace be with you all and here's to another 1000 posts.

Jim

PS: This is not the blog of the actor that plays Sheldon Cooper on "The Big Bang Theory", so stop trying to friend me on Facebook!

No comments: