Here is their list (in a Jeff Foxworthian style)
You know you are in insider if....
- You know the names of a significant percentage of the people in your worshiping congregation.
- Your table is the first table that fills up at all the church.
- You can recite the linear history of your congregation for the past two decades.
- You were around prior to the last building campaign.
- You are a carrier of "institutional memory."
- You have received direct benefits of long-term membership
I am sure there are others. I had one parishioner introduce himself to me as, "I'm the oldest rat in the barn." I should have seen the huge flashing sign over his head that read, "INSIDER!!!"
Insiders are not 'bad' but they can get in the way of opening a congregation up to change and moving forward to be the in-breaking of the Kingdom of God in this world.