Thursday, August 27, 2009

Podcasting

I stated to podcast my sermons recently and I have found it quiet fun. A couple of weeks ago one of my parishioners came up to me and told me how much he is enjoying listening to the sermons later on in the week. He actually told me, “Jim, your much better on podcast!” Now he said this with the caveat of saying during worship he is easily distracted and the podcast lets him really concentrate on what I am saying. I took it as a compliment.

You can catch my podcast here or subscribe to it via iTunes.

The best part is, I’m doing it all for free! For those of you interested in doing your open podcast just follow these simple instructions and people from all over can download whatever you put out there.

1. Record your sermon or discussion on a digital format. This can be done either through an MP3 player that has the ability to record, or like we do at our church, the service is recorded on a CD.
2. Save your recording as an MP3 file. I use Nero Wave Editor to transfer my recorder sermon from the CD to an MP3 file. I do not save it as a .wav file because .wav is really big and an MP3 file is quiet small for online storage.
3. Upload your MP3 file to a free podcast site. I use podOmatic for this but there are others out there found on a simple Google search. I created a page for our church, the link is above, and through the instructions I load the MP3 file up to it each week. On podOmatic you get 500MB of storage and 15GB of bandwidth each month. I currently have 8 sermons and one picture saved and I’m only using 155.9 MB of storage and 162.8 MB of bandwidth. I did save a couple sermons in .wav format and my storage was sucked up in two sermons. MP3 is the way to go.
4. After uploading them all you have to do is follow the directions of posting a new episode and there you have it. It is really that simple.

I am finding that this is a great way to connect to people throughout the week. Although I have only heard from a handful of my parishioners about them subscribing to the podcast, I do know I have gotten 36 downloads this week. It may take an hour a week to upload and promote your podcast but if you are reaching more people or making a deeper connection, isn’t it worth the effort?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like it if your email were posted somewhere on your blog. I actually found it once but can't find it now.

Jim said...

I have added it to the section next to my picture. Look forward to hearing from you.