Thursday, March 26, 2009

I Confess

I confess that blogging tends to be more about me than anything else. I attempt to write something that people will flock to and want to read. I love days when I get over 100 hits or when I'm picked as a "best of" at the Wesley Report. It strokes my ego and I fill up with pride. I place my sermons on here to share the Word God placed on my heart but also so that this blog is on the first page of Google when you look up a sermon on that lectionary text. I confess, in my heart, it is all about me, my ego, my pride, me, my, I.

Can blogging be about anything else? Can this medium point to God instead of the author? What would that look like?

Transparency, my guess, is the key. That is my goal behind the pulpit. I do not want people to see me when I preach, it is my desire to step out of the way and let my congregation see God. Writing, blogging, can be the same thing. God can push past my fingers on the keyboard and into the eyes of your reading, just like God can move through my mouth and the listener's ears.

"Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit." If I die to self God can be glorified. If I step out of the way, God can come through. I guess that is what our Christian walk is all about. Moving from a life centered on me, my, I to them, ours, You.

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Jim,
Although you might view your blog as something that is “all about you”, I see it a little differently. From the very beginning you started to blog to be closer to God – to lay yourself out for the entire world to see. Every day since, you’ve put yourself out there and shared your thoughts, your joys, your struggles and even some silliness. On a regular basis you share the word of God. At times you may even question religion and faith. I think God would pat you on the back and say “well done”. Your blog is thought provoking and challenging. Your words have brought me comfort, joy, hope and a way to know you better. Even writing this "I confess" entry - you show that you are human and still need God to work in your life.
Please don't forget that in everything you do – at home, at the pulpit, on the internet – you show God. He is a part of you, in a very big way, and so He enters every aspect of your life. This is not a bad thing. We are all called to live like Christ – what better way to live like Christ than to be connected to the Father? Do not worry – some may feel this as a burden of spotlight, but I’d encourage you to continue to live as you have been, struggles and all. You are an incredible person. God designed you in His perfect way – continue to share yourself with the world.

We see God…
because God is in you.

Jim said...

Thank you Jodie, you are kind and sweet and I love you! - Your Bro