Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Question 2

How do you keep this decision making from being solo work?

This question is not truly clear to me. I am trying to figure out what the 'this' mean. I am taking it as how do we, as pastors, make sure we are in check with what we are suppose to do? How do we include others in this decision making process and not just run our lives by ourselves? If someone has a better idea, please let me know but for this post this is the direction I am heading.

In my past congregation I had a weird relationship with the SPRC. Maybe it was because I was an associate but they only seemed interested in my opinion when it came around to yearly review time. Then I would send in my papers and come before them for a 45 minute chat. Then a quick, see ya again next year. My plan is to do things a little differently here at my new appointment and it will probably be different now that I am the minister.

I would like to have more than one simple review where they tell me if they like me or not. I would really hope that the PPRC at this church can be ones who can drive me to be a better minister. How can I improve my skills? How and where can I push the congregation? Since this committee is the link between me and the parish, I hope we can move into this type of relationship with one another.

In our (all new ministers to the district) introductory meeting with the DS, he told us of a training in January that speaks to this. If I remember what he said correctly he talked about leading the training for the PPRC Chairs. He guides them into using goal orientated session early in the year to be able to then review what was accomplished at the end of the year. This might work well with my hopes and dreams for PPRC.

I can already sense that ministry can be a lonely place, when you have no staff around you and it is simply you. Only you. You can drive yourself into a rut very quickly and concentrate on the things you like to do but stay away from the areas of ministry that Elders are called to that you do not like to do. That is where, if you had a PPRC that was goal orientated and had the pulse of the congregation, you could do what needs to be done and not what you want to be done.

I think I answered this question correctly. If nothing else it has given me a guide to follow as my relationship with my new parish continues to grow.

No comments: