Friday, June 8, 2007

WNCC Annual Conference

It has been the first day of meetings at the annual conference of the Western North Carolina Conference. We voted on petitions. We casted ballots. We sat in the hot, non-air conditioned auditorium. Nothing new, except that this is the first year I could actually vote.

I am often cynical about conference, the business aspect of church. I wonder if we are really doing God's work or are we simply Pharisees who just dress different. But I had to admit I was looking forward to casting my ballots and electing delegates to Jurisdictional and General conference. The countdown on the Methoblog site always reminds me it is coming very soon.

There I sat, sweating, getting some relief from the wind blowing in off of Lake Junaluska. I looked at the names of all the clergy in the WNCC and I had to pick 13 in the first ballot. I glanced through the pages and I realized something. I knew really no one. I didn't know who would be good at these conferences. I didn't know who would represent what I think should happen at these conferences. But I had to pick 13. I glanced through booklet and I looked for familiar names. I voted for who I knew. That was the only requirement.

Then ballot 2 came about and I realized I was back in high school. We were voting for prom king and queen. The one thing I was looking forward to was merely a popularity contest. The wind left my sails. The bishop has done a good job trying to keep this a holy time, but it is hard when it is hot and we continue to do ballot after ballot.

Oh well, I guess I can rest easy in my cynicalness. I can find hope in knowing God will use those popular people elected. God works despite our votes. Thank you God because I just colored in a couple of names during this last ballot!

No comments: